New Members Application Procedure
Please read all of the following before proceeding to the application form at the end of this page.
- be 19 years of age or older with no criminal record. A valid criminal record check must be provided
- be in good physical condition and have the ability to travel safely anywhere outdoors in all seasons
- have a valid Level 1 Occupational First Aid with Transportation Endorsement (or be registered to take the OFA course)
- have a valid driver’s license and own transportation
- be able to communicate with KSAR by email or cell phone (24/7/365)
- have adequate personal equipment that will allow you to operate safely and effectively in the outdoors for at least a 24 hour period (see Ready Pack information for example equipment list)
- attend an interview and bring a copy of your valid First Aid Certificate, Driver’s License, and a current Driver’s Abstract
You should be familiar with Kamloops and the surrounding area including the parks and trails.
Prospective members will have a home life and employment situation that will allow full participation in training, search and rescue operations, and other activities of the team. Some operational tasks take place overnight and often into the next day.
Kamloops Search And Rescue is run by a dedicated team of volunteers. Training new members is an investment of time, effort, and resources. A commitment to the team, and a return of investment of the time put into you is also a requirement. Members must maintain a 65% attendance of SAR training to be considered a member in good standing.
Should you lack any of the above requirements but are still interested in supporting KSAR in a fundraising or administrative role, please contact us.
The role of KSAR team members includes assisting the following agencies:
- Police in the search and rescue of missing persons and in evidence searches
- BC Ambulance Service in the rescue of injured persons
- Provincial Coroner’s Service in body recovery operations
- Municipal agencies in search, rescue, communications, and other roles during civil emergencies
- Public schools by presenting the Outdoor Safety programs to kids in our community
Although they are volunteers, the life saving service provided by the members of the Kamloops Search and Rescue Team requires that they maintain the standards of unpaid professionals in assisting municipal and provincial agencies.
Training & Commitment of the KSAR team
The single biggest reason people leave any volunteer organization is because they cannot keep up the commitment required so it is vital you understand there is a significant commitment of time and effort when you join KSAR. After your recruit training is over, there is a regular training three times a month (includes a weekend day), one business meeting a month, special events, social activities, specialty teams, work groups, etc. The logged hours range from 100 to over 500, with the average being 200. And that’s just the logged hours – there’s untold effort to keep the organization running smoothly that isn’t logged.
When the Ground Search and Rescue (GSAR) course is running, training is more intensive. It runs for a one full week, five weeknights and a weekend, over a two month period until the course is completed and ends with an overnight component.
Members-in-training are expected to attend all training sessions and are put on the active callout list. Participation is monitored prior to being accepted for the GSAR course. Those who complete the requirements of the training manual and exam, and in the view of the Training Officer would be an asset to the team, will be brought on as a full member of KSAR.
A search is an emergency and can happen at any time. Our volunteers need to be ready to be deployed into the field at a moment’s notice.
Kamloops Search and Rescue expects a minimum two year commitment to the Society upon receiving GSAR certification.
If you have read all the above information and would like more information on whether or not you qualify, please contact us.
If you have read and understood all the above information and believe you meet the requirements to join KSAR, click the apply link.